Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Puerto Princesa, Palawan: Underground River Tour

Day 1: Underground River Tour

Before I start talking about this trip. I would all like you to know that This was my first out of town trip with no one. Yes, I went there alone. So this will be my first blog. (I actually don't know the connection.)

Anyway, here are the details of my solo trip.

Date: Febuary 4, 2011
Air Carrier: Cebu Pacific
ETD: 08:10 AM
ETA: 09:25 AM

The flight I took in was 10 minutes ahead of schedule. It was great, I was able to smoke outside the airport before my tour begins.

I was picked up at the airport by the tour I hired, I did not even finish my cigarette. Hmpf!! Like in Manila, I threw the cigarette butt on the sidewalk. And that was the first lesson I learned. Why? See below.

 
Anti Littering Law
1st Offense - 200php
2nd Offense - 300php
3rd Offense - 1,000php + 2 Months imprisonment

Anti Smoking Law
1st Offense - 500php
2nd Offense - 3,000php
3rd Offense - 5,000php
 The Anti Littering Law is strictly enforced in Puerto Princesa, but for the Anti Smoking Law they are more lax.

Good thing the tour guide picked up the cigarette I threw and he threw it to the bin inside the van. Whew! I thought I'll be paying 700php. 

09:40 AM - Start of travel going to Underground River. We were five (5) of us inside the van. The Driver, the Husband of Charisse (my contact) and a couple - Jay and Kaye
10:25 AM - Stop over at Masagana Rest Area. Here it says:


We stopped over here for 10 minutes to go to the wash room and buy souvenirs. (I did not buy anything.)
10:35 AM: Back on the road again.
11:15 AM: Reached Sabang. This is the drop off point to Underground River. 

Here, we went first to the Underground River Office to get our permit.


Underground River Office
Permit Fee (Entrance Fee): 150php (I'm on package tour so I didn't pay this)
*There is also an Undergroud River Office in Puerto Princesa City.  

11:35 AM: Boat travel to Underground River. The boat ride was a bit scary, the waves are really huge. To take away my fears, I turned on my iPod and put it on a very loud sounds. (I was still afraid the boat will sink.) 

11:55 AM: Arrival at the facade of the Underground River. The Bangkero/Tour Guide headed straight to the office to give our Permit. They follow the First Come, First Serve basis. While waiting I took photos of the area.


12:10 PM: After our photo ops, we then headed to the pick up point. Again, photo ops for me. (Weeeeee!!!)

01:20 PM: I got hungry. So I bought Sky Flakes, Cloud9 and Coke. The vendor told me to put inside my pocket the food i bought coz if the monkeys will see it, they are going to steal it. As much as I wanted to feed the monkeys, I was really hungry so I hid my food from them.
01:40 PM: Our turn came after an hour and a half of waiting. I was really tired and still hungry (I did not eat breakfast and I had to skipped lunch). Unluckily for me, I was seated at the back of the boat so I wasn't able to take a good picture. Lucky for me, I was able to see the beauty of the Underground River. 
TIP: Seat in the front, if possible be the light controller.
Because I dont have a good picture, here are the things that you will see inside the cave. (Of course, just use your imagination.)
1. Dinasour
2. Fish
3. Cathedral
4. An Angel
5. The Face of Jesus Christ
6. A Horse
7. The Three Kings
8. Garlic
9. Cabbage
10. Corn
11. A Naked Woman.
12. And a lot more.

The tour lasted for only 1 hour. Inside the cave, I totally forgot that I'm hungry. I was amazed by the beauty of the cave. It is a truly a nature wonder.

03:00 PM: We reached Sabang port. We went to this restaurant by the beach and ate our lunch.

It was a lunch buffet, I ate grilled liempo, grilled tuna and grilled chicken. I took a soup, I think it was Sinigang, but I'm not sure.

The food wasn't so great. it's not hot any more. Maybe because it's a very late lunch (who would have take their lunch at 3pm??), but we don't have any choice. We still enjoy the food, simply because we're so hungry.

03:40 PM: We left Sabang and head back to Puerto Princesa. We were suggested to drop by Ugong Rock but the couple decided not to. (Sad! Phot Ops din un!)
I fell asleep on our way back to Puerto Princesa. This is the end of the Underground River Tour
Cost for the whole package including lunch: 1300php

05:10 PM: We dropped by at Tiangge Tiangge, the couple I'm with are going to buy their Pasalubong. I stayed outside the area and smoke. After I finished, I went inside to look around.

05:30 PM: We left Tiangge Tiangge, then they dropped me off at Duchess Pensionne Inn.
05:35 PM: Reached Duchess Pensionne Inn. Unfortunately, there was no single bed available, so I took the twin sharing fan room.
Cost per night: 300php

06:00 PM: Took a bath.
07:00 PM: Undecided where to eat dinner, I walked down the street. My coworker/friend suggested Bilao at Palayok because of the Leche Flan shake (This was a disappointment, there was no Leche Flan shake on the menu and the waiter doesn't even know if they have that before), so I walked through there.
TIP: Do not walk going to this place. It's far, take a tricycle. Save time, save energy for a minimum fare only.
07:40 PM: I reached Bilao at Palayok.

The place is very relaxing. Their crew are very accomodating and very helpful (they took my pictures). I do suggest this place.
The food I ordered was Sinigang na Hipon which is good for three (3), 2 cup of rice and Buko shake. The food was great, why did I say so? becasue I ate it all. Burp!!
Dinner Expenses: 250php

08:30 PM: Because I was so full, I walked again from the resto to Bay Bay (Baywalk), it was an hour walk. So guys, please take a tricycle.
Bay Bay and Baywalk (Manila) smells the same. The differences are the PDAs, there were no PDAs in Bay Bay and of course the garbage, Bay Bay is really clean, there is no way we can compare the cleanliness of this seaside to Baywalk.

09:30 PM: I walked back to the Pensionne House.
10:00 PM: Slept for tomorrow Honda Bay Tour.

BTW, here is the contact of my tour guide.
Contact Name: For PEXers and GTers she's Ms. Tiara. Real first name is Charisse (did I spell it correctly?)
Contact Number: +63 917 809 4509

4 comments:

  1. you should've taken the Jungle Trail going to the Underground River kasi maaaning ka talaga sa ganda ng nature:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! been to Palawan last Dec. 2010... ang ganda grabe!!!

    blog hopping......

    hope you can also drop by my blog..though di naman ganun kaganda unlike others...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @blissfulguro: I really wanted to take the Jungle Trail kaya lang sobrang gutom na ko. Dinner the other night pa yan. buti nga nasurvive pa eh. Pero sayang nga talaga yun.

    @Mariel Gonzalez: Thanks for visiting. I'll surely check your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With which company did you book the tour to underground river??

    ReplyDelete